On 26 March 2012 08:38, Ariel T. Glenn <ar...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
..
> As one of those non latin script users, it irks me no end when I see a
> url that is opaque to me soley because it's been url-encoded.  I would
> love a "smarter" url shortener; there's no reason projects with a latin1
> script should produce human readable urls while the rest of us get to
> guess where links on our projects lead.  Even somewhat weird
> romanization is better than what we have now.
>
> Ariel

Perhaps this is one of these problems that can't be solved just with computers.

Anyway It seems theres a system to convert unicode to ascii and back
to the original ascii.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punycode

This http://xn--caon-hqa.es.wikipedia.org/  and
http://cañon.es.wikipedia.org/  is the same url.

The ugly face of the problem shows with something like this:  मुखपृष्ठ
 turns into  xn--21bu3ao1c3cq5f, I don't help any human is helped by
reading or writting "xn--21bu3ao1c3cq5f".

http://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%AE%E0%A5%81%E0%A4%96%E0%A4%AA%E0%A5%83%E0%A4%B7%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%A0

http://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/xn--21bu3ao1c3cq5f

:P

ℱin del ℳensaje.