2012/3/21 Diederik van Liere <dvanli...@gmail.com>:
> Hi y'all,
>
> With the pending git migration upon us,is this also the right time to
> think about naming conventions for git branches or is there nu such a
> need?
> I can imagine that a branch aimed at fixing a bug could be named
> B12345, or something like that. Or are 'descriptive' names good
> enough? One reason to have naming conventions is that it would make it
> easier in the future to run scripts to collect stats on particular
> branches. That would be much harder in a complete freetext
> environment.

In the few commits i did until now, i usually did called it something
like "bug_31817_add_bdi_to_allowed_tags". Nobody complained yet. I'm
OK with "2012/bug_31817_add_bdi_to_allowed_tags", too, or anything
else that will be decided.

When i use `git review -d' on a change that was in the aforementioned
branch, another branch called "review/amire80/bug/31817" is created,
so i suppose that Gerrit identified the bug number (or maybe somebody
did it manually and i missed it). I don't quite understand why two
branches are created for pretty much the same thing. Maybe i should
create a branch called "review/amire80/bug/31817" in the first place?

Or maybe i shouldn't use `git review -d' at all?

And, there's also the issue of several branches per one bug, so it's
possible that it's not enough.

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni