I think you could use a multi-step process to solve this problem with the
help of the community.

   1. Detect when inline styles are used on a page and add that page to a
   list of pages that might have problems being rendered on mobile.
      1. Make a special page that displays this list and use an edit hook
      to reevaluate if a page should be on or off the list each time someone
      edits it.
      2. Possibly display a progress meter on the page
      3. This information could be surfaced when someone with sufficient
      rights to move the styles to a site style sheet loads the editor on that
      page too.
   2. Provide a guide for how to move inline styles into reusable style in
   the site CSS and how to write special mobile versions of the styles too
   (using something like MediaWiki:Mobile.css for instance)
   3. Set a reasonable timeframe for when the mobile site will begin
   scrubbing inline CSS from pages
   4. Work with the community to reach the goal - as in: don't just dump it
   on them, listen to their suggestions on what might make it easier for them
   to make the switch
   5. Turn on scrubbing

This might take time, but if it's facilitated like this, it can be
accelerated. I think our community will care a lot about mobile access
already, but reminding them of how many page views or unique users we have
on the mobile site already and inviting them to help make the mobile site
even better and more popular would probably help motivate people.

- Trevor