On 16/06/12 19:14, Dirk Hünniger wrote:
> On 06/16/2012 06:49 PM, Platonides wrote:
>> Have you heard of dependencies?You have to download a 364M file, which
>> extracts to 898MOf those 94M are Linux-specific. The rest includes
>> miktex files, objectfiles, dlls, exes, imagemagick, tcl/tk, Olson
>> db...The real code seem to lie at  trunk/wb2pdf/trunk/src, being just
>> 4MB.
>> And if we look at the linux version, it isn't better. It does not
>> onlyplace everything into a /usr/bin subfolder, it copies everything
>> (90M)to /tmp on each run. Completely oblivious of security.Running
>> this program on a shared system is a vulnerability on itself.
>> Why don't you make a package with just the wb2pdf specific files?Also,
>> temporary build files are not needed on a release.
>

> I provide one download that is easy to use for any user of both Linux an
> Windows. Thus is obviously contains files unnecessary for each of the
> two operating systems.
If it was just a few extra MB, I could agree. But 94M / 800M IMHO are
past the point here you should split per OS.

> I have heard of dependencies and the .deb
> contains a lot of them, and they are downloaded when it is installed. I
> can produce a higher quality .deb file.

> It will still be 90MByte because
> I need a full Unicode font. To be precise I need twelve variants of it
> and thats the 90MByte.
You mean the mega font? That's actually 207M uncompressed :)
That should probably go to a different package (and depend on it). I
don't see why it couldn't fallback to another available font if it's not
available, though.
Many wikis are written in just a tiny subset of unicode.

It seems you're creating it from wqyzenhei + unifont + freeserif fonts.
Why do you need to merge them?

> I essentially did the tmp trick in order to get
> around the work of researching where to install each file and to
> properly fix the path names in the code and to test that.

In case of doubt, you should have placed the folder in /usr/lib
A number of would be better placed at /usr/share, though.
But I'm not sure what are many files.
For instance, what's the purpose of geturl and pa programs?

And why do you have copies at bin/ and dist/build? Furthermore, why are
they different?
Build artifacts are also common there.

> So for now you
> can run the software, you can test every feature you want, and if you or
> somebody else decided s/he wants to use it, I will make a .deb file that
> fits yours needs. This will probably take two weeks, with most of the
> time being spent on chose proper directories.

I feel a bit wary of running that :S