On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 09:35:56AM +0200, Petr Bena wrote:
> One developer recently complained about some freenode policies,
> specifically that wiki projects (wikipedia etc has some kind of
> exception) are no longer allowed to be hosted on freenode network,
> which is supposed to host only opensource projects. It's fact that as
> the wikimedia project is becoming more large the freenode is getting
> less and less suitable. Right now there is a page [1] where are
> discussed other options for IRC. One of the options is to leave
> freenode and set up own wikimedia IRC network, which has lot of
> benefits but also lot of issues (moving to another network is
> complicated given to number of channels and users).

Setting up and properly maintaining an IRC network is extremely
complicated.  We really *really* shouldn't do that, esp. since there is
no reason for us to do so, when there are other open networks around.

Even if the situation with freenode doesn't work out (which I think it
will), we could perhaps reach out to OFTC, an alternative IRC network
where some free software projects have fled to (there was discussions in
the past to merge freenode/OFTC but those proved to be unfruitful)a.

Regards,
Faidon