On 27/06/12 11:43, Denny Vrandečić wrote:
> 2012/6/26 Platonides <platoni...@gmail.com>:
>> On 26/06/12 18:48, Denny Vrandečić wrote:
>>> We tried to change the linker in order to add the uselang parameter
>>> every time -- but it only works in the content, not in the sidebar and
>>> actionlinks.
>>>
>>> We could put the language into a cookie, as the ULS currently does,
>>> but this means that the squid caches won't work, afaik.
>>
>> You are going to fragment the caches whether you use a parameter or a
>> cookie.
>> IMHO the cookie option is a cleaner one (I think that would also allow
>> to make a single purge).
>
> We thought about using the uselang only if it is not the main used
> language (i.e., usually en), which means the caches would kick in 40%
> of the time at least.

You mean serving other language directly from the apaches? Could be
done. But would they support a 50% of the squid load?

> The cookie thing wouldn't have such a convenient
> default AFAIK, but I might be really easily wrong here.
I think it could be done both ways. If the page is cacheable, the
squid/varnish would store the page with the cookie value, and then serve
it only for those request with the same cookie value.

>>> We could take the output just before it is send to the browser and
>>> regex-substitute all the links in order to add the uselang parameter
>>> every... OK, half joking. Only half.
>>
>> Some wikis have a javascript which does exactly that, adding a userlang
>> parameter the moment you click a link.
>> Much better than a string regex :)
>
> But only working if JavaScript is available.

Sure, that's the limitation :)

You would still cover almost everyone but jidanni ;)