On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Arthur Richards
<aricha...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> It would be awesome if we could put together a devroom at FOSDEM.

Agreed. If is going to do it I'd love to be involved. I've helped with
the cross-desktop dev rooms in previous years.

> Over the last couple of years, FOSDEM has become my favorite
> conference. The ethos of the conference is fantastic - totally
> grassroots, transparent, and open. It draws an unbelievable crowd. The
> technical breadth and depth of the talks is generally impressive. And
> the Wikimedia/Mediawiki-related talks pack the rooms - at least they
> did the last couple of years. We should have a much bigger presence at
> this event - from my perspective, it seems like it is a fantastic
> learning, community building, and recruiting opportunity - perhaps
> even more so than most of the other conferences at which we have a
> presence.
>
> If folks think this would be something cool to do, it might also be
> worth teaming with some other similarly-minded orgs with some overlap
> - like Mozilla, Creative Commons, OLPC, CiviCRM, etc. From the
> invitation for proposals, it sounds like this would increase our odds
> at securing a devroom, it would certainly help us further
> cross-pollinate, and ultimately strengthen the broader open source
> community.

Mozilla had their own room in previous years. In general teaming up
with other like-minded projects does increase the chances.

Cheers
Lydia

Community Communications for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.