Tyler Romeo wrote:
> Wait a second. Concerning the password reset, currently it uses the
> user_newpassword field, which means the user is required to reset their
> password upon login. How is this any different than using a reset token,
> where the user supplies the reset token and changes their password?

Thanks Tyler, I was wondering the same.

Tyler Romeo wrote:
> The password length is whatever $wgMinimalPasswordLength is set to, and
> according to DefaultSettings.php it's 1 :P. Maybe we should increase the
> length of passwords from User::randomPassword.

But we never generate random passwords shorter than 10 characters.
(includes/User.php line 859) We can increase that hardcoded value as
much as we want.

Derric wrote:
> The other thing though that can be done with tokens that can't be done with
> passwords (at least without violating user expectations) is making the token
> expire.  Having the randomly generated token/password expire after a day or so
> greatly reduces the amount of time available for an attack.

Our temporary passwords do expire.

Daniel Friesen wrote:
> - Usability: Forcing the user to manually enter the token is a very bad
> user experience. We have good email confirmation tokens but don't bother
> to do password resets the same way.
> - Security: Because the temporary password is being entered by the user
> it ends up being much shorter than it should be. The temporary passwords
> have really low entropy
It's using MWCryptRand, 46 bits. It could be improved, but it's not that
bad.