Most software projects fail (for some definition of "fail").  Even for
highly skilled and highly experienced companies and shops, most software
projects fail.  I'm not going to look up the Gartner and Forrester and
Chaos reports this late on a Monday night, but google away.

GSoC is an investment that is not intended to have a short-term payoff.
The fact that ANY GSoC code makes to production is fantastic.

GSoC is an investment in the long term.  It is intended to provide real
concrete experience to promising students in real environments, including
all the frustrations and annoyances that everyone on a software team
experiences in the real world all the time.  Schools simply do not provide
that experience.   Some fraction of those participants will take those
experiences into the future of software development, to make real
improvements, both to code and to process.

Furthermore, considering GSoC solely in terms of benefit to
Mediawiki/Wikipedia is short-sighted.  Take a look at the organizations
participating:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/projects/list/google/gsoc2012 .  What
would your opinion be if WMF were not on that list?