On 28 August 2012 02:26, Daniel Friesen <dan...@nadir-seen-fire.com> wrote:
> I ran into our coding conventions for creating elements in JS:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Coding_conventions/JavaScript#Creating_elements
> var $hello = $('<div>').text( 'Hello' );
> // Not '<div/>'
> // Not '<div></div>'
>
> This looks like some really bad advice.

The very reason I and others have been killing '<div/>' with fire is
that I was told it doesn't work in IE. Can you explain what is going
on?

Personally I don't like '<div/>' because there is no such thing in
html. I could understand '<div>' as a shortcut for creating a div
element.

Unless the issue is clarified, I think that recommending to always use
valid html like <div></div> seems a much better option than either of
  -Niklas

--
Niklas Laxström