On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Mark A. Hershberger <m...@everybody.org> wrote:
> On 08/31/2012 03:19 AM, Siebrand Mazeland (WMF) wrote:
>> Wikimedia is at 1.20/wmf10 now. That means that it has been working
>> with 1.20 alpha for the past 20 weeks. Isn't is about time we start
>> preparing something usable called 1.20, 2.0, or whatever, for the
>> outside world, too?
>
> I've started discussing the tarball issue here
> (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Tarball_maintenance) this
> week.  If we assume that this starts the 6 week cycle, then we should
> have a release during the first week of October.

I think this is fine.  The steps for making the tarball are here
(including link to make-release):
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Release_checklist

I don't think we should make this the "2.0" release.

Sam would be the one to publish the tarball, but anyone can generate
an unofficial alpha tarball, and I'd encourage that.

I'd like to get something finished in October (I was hoping September,
actually, but events seem to have overwhelmed that).  Getting things
done by then means not waiting for anything that doesn't make it in
soon.  We should probably branch from the same branch point as
1.20wmf12.

Rob