On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Trevor Parscal <tpars...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> In VisualEditor we ended up putting all CSS rules that include images in
> *.icons-raster.css and *.icons-vector.css files, which are loaded
> dynamically based on the window.devicePixelRatio property.
>
> It has it's flaws, but the good thing is that it spares the device from
> minded to alternatives, but any solution that makes a client load both
> isn't really going to work.

It's great to avoid loading both when you can, and with CSS icons that's
relatively doable.

For what it's worth though, a (different) load-both scenario is in actual
use on http://www.apple.com/

It's not perfect, but as a workaround until srcset is live I'm happy enough
with it. Think of it as progressive loading. ;)

-- brion