On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 01:30:14PM -0700, S Page wrote:
> I imagine mobile users on IPv6 might be more aggressively cached by
> their providers, and they aren't requesting as many resources per page
> view, so Wikimedia's share of IPv6 users might be higher.

I wouldn't count on mobile devices having any significant IPv6 adoption,
even in our scale.

The dual stack (IPv4v6 PDP) 3GPP specs are relatively new and supported
by only a handful of carriers, the number of devices supporting two PDPs
is exactly zero¹ and the only smartphone operating systems supporting
IPv6 on the mobile interface are Symbian and Android >= 4.0/ICS (and the
latter only partially, depending on the handset's chipset). The
situation with USB sticks and MiFis are similar although I was
pleasantly surprised last week to see Verizon's newer generation of
MiFis supporting IPv6 out of the box.

On the WiFi interface things are significantly better (works with all
Symbians and Android >= 2.1) but still with more hiccups than on fixed
(DHCPv6 and RFC 6106 support is non existent, IPv6 is only supported on
the relatively new iOS >= 4 etc.)

Regards,
Faidon

¹: The Nokia N900 supported that but a) it's EOL, b) it needed a patched
kernel and manual configuration anyway.