On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Victor Vasiliev <vasi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think instead of using individual constant, we should finally introduce a
> Capabilities class.
>
> It should have a single static method, has(), which indicates whether a
> certain capability is registered within the system. At the beginning,
> capabilities will be listed as static members of that class, but we may do
> something more clever at the future.
>
> I would also suggest that we introduce a policy of adding a capability for
> any new hook we add. Or we could parse docs/hooks.txt in order to avoid
> duplication (probably moving it somewhere).

I think this is a good idea.  The case for that is here:
http://martinfowler.com/bliki/FeatureToggle.html

Gotta love an article that starts with "Imagine you are releasing into
production every two weeks..."  :)

Some bikeshedding: I'm a little concerned with using the term
"Capabilities", since I generally hear that term more frequently in
designing software security models:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capability-based_security

Rob