On 10/22/2012 06:31 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
Last year we decided not to participate in Google Code-In
https://www.google-melange.com/gci/document/show/gci_program/google/gci2012/help_page
, an outreach program to help us get more 13-to-17-year-old
contributors.  I outlined the reasons here:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2011-October/055937.html

This year, we are again eligible to apply to participate.  I estimate
that we'd need about 2 organizational administrators and 21 mentors to
do it well.  So I've opened signups at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-In and explained what those
people would be committing to.  If you want us to apply to participate
in GCI this winter, please comment on that page by November 1st. Thanks.

I wanted to ping the list again about this....our project and others will really benefit from having new contributors, and the tech community at large will benefit from the education we can help provide these students. And of course, it means new community members and a generally more informed public.

Please consider signing the list before the deadline, I'd really love to see this program happen. I'm willing to help a lot, but I can't do it all!

Thanks,

--
Mark Holmquist
Software Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation