Hi,

In the Bangalore DevCamp I spoke a bit with Brion about a way to
measure various ways of editing MediaWiki pages. The original idea was
to measure how much the mobile editing, when it becomes widely
available, is actually used. A simplistic solution would be add a
boolean "rev_mobile" field to the revision table, but this can apply
to a lot of other things, for example:
* Visual Editor vs. the current wiki-syntax editor
* A usual browser vs. AutoWikiBrowser vs. direct API calls
* bots vs. non-bots
* for file uploads, Special:Upload vs. Special:UploadWizard

Things get even more complicated, because several such flags may apply
at once: for example, I can imagine a human editor using a mobile
editing interface with a bot flag, because he makes a lot of tiny
edits and the community doesn't want them to appear in RecentChanges.

And of course, there may be privacy and performance implications, too.

Nevertheless, some kind of metrics of the various contributions
channels would be useful. Any more ideas?

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬