On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 05:19:51PM -0800, James Forrester wrote:
> In WMF Engineering, we've been struggling with what we mean by 'supporting'
> browsers, and how we can match limited developer time to our natural desire
> to make everyone happy.
> <snip>
> So, to turn this mass of text into an 'ask', I would love the thoughts of
> this list about this. Do you think this might work? Is "making sure all the
> different parts of MediaWiki keep working with <browser I love>" something
> you'd see yourself volunteering to do?

So, I think you're intermixing two different things: MediaWiki support
and "WMF Engineering" or "cluster" browser support. They're not exactly
the same thing.

For example, browsers make a huge difference in the SSL features they
support. So, we currently don't do SNI, as it's unsupported on certain
browser/platforms¹ (mainly: Windows XP and Android < 3). Other SSL
features (e.g. RFC 5077) are in a similar state, and I guess we can
think of other such features not exclusive to MediaWiki.

Should this policy be expanded to cover such cases too? I think so. We
should definitely put more effort though and expand your use cases to
ops use cases too.

Regards,
Faidon

¹: