Is there a reason not to use the Yahoo championed approach of embedding a
version number in all static file names so you can set a very long cache
expires time and just add new versions to the CDN when a change is made?

I don't know how often our CSS, branding images, scripts, and other static
content change, but there would not be much effort in adding that to a
deploy process and there must be developer overhead being incurred in
trying to keep new code backwards compatible.

Luke Welling