I share some blame for the existence of this thread. I spotted the git author
issue after that commit was merged and was too lazy to revert and fix it. I
personally tend to dislike reverting stuff way more than I should (like a
prior schema change that was merged without the site being updated). I
should have just reverted that immediately and left a new patch waiting for
+2.

Patches by person A that just split out a class or function made by person B
should still be looked at by someone other than person A. I think it's a
border case, but leaning on the side of caution is the best bet. It sucks to
have the code break due to something that was accidentally not copied. I
don't think it's worth reverting something like that just for being
self-merged (which is why didn't), but it's good practice to avoid. If a
string of basic follow-ups are needed and people complain, it might be worth
reverting though (like what happened here). We can always add patches back
into master after giving it a second look, so reverting isn't always a huge
deal and need not be stigmatizing. I need to get used to the revert button
more; lesson learned. :)