As Brion points out, we get much better coverage. I enabled h.264 locally and ran though a set of Android , iOS and desktop browsers I had available at the time:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TimedMediaHandler/Platform_testing

Pro h.264:
* No one is proposing turning "off" webm, an ideological commitment to support free access with free platforms in royalty free formats, does not necessarily require you exclude derivation to proprietary formats.
* We already are not "ideologically pure"
** We submit to the apple store terms of service, we build outputs with non-freedom iOS tool chain etc. ** We write custom code / work arounds to support proprietary non web-standard browsers. * There is little to no chance of Apple adding "googles" codec support to their platform. * We could ingest h.264 making letting the commons store source material in its originally source captured format. This is important for years down the road we have the highest quality possible. * Chicken and egg, for companies like apple to care about wikimedia webm only support, wikimedia would need lots of video, as long as we don't support h.264 our platform discourages wide use video on articles.

Pro Webm:
* Royalty free purity in /most/ of what wikimedia distributes.
* We could in theory add software playback of webm to our iOS and android app.
* Reduced storage costs ( marginal, vs public good of access )
* Reduced licence costs for an h.264 encoder on our two transcoding boxes ( very marginal ) * Risk that mpeg-la adds distribution costs for free online distribution in the future. Low risk, and we could always "turn it off"

--michael