(anonymous) wrote:

>> This issue will be definitely solved by isolating tests in dedicated virtual
>> machines for each run. We are investigating Vagrant.

> A VM seems overkill when it can be solved with standard user permissions
> + chroot (or even better, a bsd jail)

With chroot you also have to spend a lot of thought into
setting up (and tearing down) the (non-SQLite) databases and
other auxiliary services; VMs are much easier to deal with
and adapt in this regard.  Travis CI is probably the most
prominent example of the openness and diversity one can
achieve with potentially rogue users.

But whether chroot or VMs, Jenkins or whatnot, it would be
very nice if WMF could finally commit some resources to this
problem.  The underlying security question was tabled months
ago, and the solution to it isn't exactly rocket science as
evidenced by the various existing services, but still hard
work.

Tim