Quim,

- We seem to have an erratic use of "Wikipedia", "Wikimedia", "MediaWiki",
[choose your logo] and [nothing] for naming these events. For instance, see
the web pages of "San Francisco Hackathon" "Berlin Hackathon" or "Amsterdam
Hackathon" and try to find the full name written down. The pictures show
that creative, inconsistent solutions were found for the banners. This
makes no sense for the outsiders we want to reach.

+1 for standardizing to Mediawiki <event> <city>

- We seem to use "Hackathon" always but then Bangalore was a "DevCamp". It
is useful to settle in one word, unless the event is something completely
different.

We changed the usage of the term 'hackathon' to 'devcamp' specifically for
the India subcontinent where 'hacking=security breakins'. We were having to
turnaway people who wanted to work together on cracking passwords and more
at our hackathons. The preferred terminology in Asia would not be
'hackathon'. Devcamps have also included lightning talks as well as
tutorials and demos. Again, localizing for the needs of a geography is okay.

- Some events specify the date in their name, some don't. There is no need
to specify the month-year in the name of the event since any event has a
date anyway. This allows us to recycle and update web pages, archiving
properly past events. URLs stay and they become stronger. You can find an
extreme example of this problem in Wikimania where (up to date) every year
there has been a new URL, a new Twitter account, etc. Let's avoid this
problem at least in our context.

I agree. There is no need to specify month-year in the event name. We
discarded the practice for the most recent Bangalore DevCamp.

-Alolita

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Sumana Harihareswara <suma...@wikimedia.org

Alolita Sharma
Director of Engineering