On 24/01/13 13:54, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> On 01/23/2013 10:07 PM, Georgiy Tugai wrote:
>> As the linked thread mentioned, MediaWiki is used on many deployments
>> outside of Wikimedia.
>> For example, I'm running three instances on a server with 10 GB of disk
>> space.
>> Therefore, this should be an option in LocalSettings.php rather than a
>> global change; that way, the installations which are CPU-constrained
>> rather than disk-constrained can use other solutions, from user
>> education to Squid.
> Yeah, I think it should probably an option (we could debate the default
> later).  Besides the obvious bandwidth issue, some browsers may do worse
> scaling then MediaWiki's library (imagemagick I believe).  Of course,
> others might be better.
>
> Matt Flaschen

Maybe put a CSS box over/next to the image, in preview mode and possibly
in normal viewing mode as well, suggesting that the user specifies a
standard size for higher quality etc..?
Also, a "lightbox" feature may help - expand the image to the full size
(as sent by the server) on click, then link to the file page upon a
second click (hide the "lightbox" upon a click outside of the image
borders).
I am unsure how difficult this feature would be to add -- I have not dug
around in MediaWiki's code before. Can someone point me in the right
direction?