On 9 February 2013 23:00, Platonides <platoni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You could do it with openoffice.org/libreoffice, although I agree that
> getting all the dependencies right for running in the server is a bit
> tedious. You can also use Excel itself for that (eg. COM automation), as
> suggested by vitalif, supposing you are using a Windows server.

You can in fact automate OO/LO in this manner. We do this at work (an
application that has to turn RTF and DOC into PDFs; if you want a
fighting chance of rendering Word files, you need something of
comparable size to Word). Not fast (and we never could get daemon mode
working) so cache your results.

- d.