On 15/02/13 09:11, Platonides wrote:
> On 14/02/13 18:26, Faidon Liambotis wrote:
>> Ubuntu has experimented in the past with the concept of automatically
>> generating and shipping symbols for *all* packages, packaged up in a
>> "ddeb"s (same format as .deb) and shipped via a different repository
>> that isn't mirrored by all of the downstream mirrors.
>>
>> This was years ago, I'm not sure what has happened since then. I
>> remember being discussed in Debian as well, but it was never adopted,
>> probably because noone ever implemented it :)
>
> Good question. There are a few bugs and blueprints about it, and they
> show as *implemented*

Yes, it's implemented and works well. I use it on Wikimedia servers
when I need debug symbols for stock packages. My only gripe is that it
would be nice to have awareness of the feature in higher-level tools
like apt and synaptic, to allow installation of the debug symbols of
any package without slowing down "apt-get update" or cluttering up the
synaptic package list. I'm thinking something similar to "apt-get
source".

The Debian habit of adding -dbg packages to some fraction of binary
packages also clutters the package list, but with an architecture that
makes apt/synaptic support unlikely.

For packages that we build ourselves, it's easier to just disable
stripping.

-- Tim Starling