On Mar 3, 2013, at 7:04 AM, Chad <innocentkil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Jeremy Baron <jer...@tuxmachine.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 5:50 AM, Brion Vibber <br...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>> Is anybody else seeing this when running 'git submodule update' in a
>>> checkout of the extensions repo?
>>>
>>>  fatal: reference is not a tree: beead919cac17528f335d9409dfcada12e606ebd
>>>  Unable to checkout 'beead919cac17528f335d9409dfcada12e606ebd' in
>>> submodule path 'MaintenanceShell'
>>>
>>> Seems like the submodule's gotten broken somehow?
>>> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/51887 attempts to fix it manually...
>>
>> Well it does exist:
>>
>> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/gitweb?p=mediawiki%2Fextensions%2FMaintenanceShell.git;a=commit;h=beead919cac17528f335d9409dfcada12e606ebd
>>
>> But that's not in the log of the current master. Must have had a force
>> push bypassing review. (which makes sense if you look at the history)
>> Maybe not updating the parent repo is a gerrit bug.
>>

> The auto-updating submodule magic only works if you're pushing
> through Gerrit. Skip Gerrit, and you don't get the benefits of the
> magic submodules.
>
> -Chad

Even if after a force push changes are merged by Gerrit the normal way?

I did a one-time import of the original history, replacing the "empty"
repository.

After that I merged 3 changes via Gerrit[1] and there have been no forced
pushes since.

-- Krinkle

[1] as indicated by the pink ref/changes labels:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/gitweb?p=mediawiki/extensions/MaintenanceShell.git;a=summary