See http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/glam/2013-March/000361.html &
http://everybodyslibraries.com/2013/03/04/from-wikipedia-to-our-libraries/
: "how do we get people from Wikipedia articles to the related offerings
of our local libraries?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Library_resources_box "create a
sidebar box with links to resources about (or by) the topic of  a
Wikipedia article in a reader’s library, or in another library a reader
might want to consult."

And more!

"As with most things related to Wikipedia, this service is experimental,
and subject to change (and, hopefully, improvement) over time.  I’d love
to hear thoughts and suggestions from users and maintainers of Wikipedia
and libraries."

John, since you said you're new to template-building, you might enjoy
learning about what the new Lua templating system gives you:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Scribunto/Lua_reference_manual

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager