I just tested the behavior in Safari and Firefox Nightly and found that (as
expected):

1) Single sign-on from a fresh browser session doesn't work.  The user is not
logged into other wiki* sites.
2) Single sign-on works for wiki* sites that the user has previously logged
into.
3) Single sign-out works.

I didn't mind the UX, but I could imagine some user annoyance.  Here's an easy
fix for Safari, Firefox 22+, and any browser with third-party cookies entirely
disabled:

1) On login/logout, test whether third-party cookies are disabled.  (For
example, try to set/read/clear a cookie on wikitestthirdpartycookies.org.)
2) If a browser has third-party cookies disabled, do a series of first-party
redirects to set or clear wiki* site cookies.  (Google does something similar
for google.com/youtube.com.)

While on the topic of wiki* logins, do y'all have any plans to implement HTTPS
for password submission?  My lab surveyed implementations on top websites not
long ago and found that Wikipedia is one of very few to still use plaintext for
credentials.

Best,
Jonathan