On 04/04/2013 03:22 AM, Jeroen De Dauw wrote:
> "SMW will make any wiki uber-complicated and explode". This certainly does
> not include concerns with deployment on the big WMF project wikis, which
> should be taken seriously.

As a point of anecdotal data, I've used SMW with success at two of my
past employers for semiautomated documentation of machine rooms and
related documentation.

Being able to make templates (mostly autofilled by facter) that allowed
queries like "how much power is being used by rack C7" and "what boxen
are currently still running Hardy" on our ops wiki, alongside the
human-written documentation, was /invaluable/.

This looks a lot like the scope of mwm and wikitech.

So yeah; perhaps SMW has issues that makes deployment to the bigger
content wikis problematic, but rejecting it for the smaller data-based
ones on a kneejerk is, at best, misguided.

-- Marc