On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 8:17 PM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> Thanks for working on this. You probably want to talk to Quim and others
> in his team about this. He's been doing related work:
>
> * https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_contribute

Will do :) It's a nice page, I hadn't checked it out before! I should
be able to steal some from there

> And some of my old notes about this:
>
> * https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?oldid=585568#Blueprint
>
> It's unclear whether you want to only focus on technologies or if you want
> to also focus on (for example) re-using content from Wikimedia wikis.
> "What can I do for Wikimedia?" --> re-use our content via XML dumps and
> the MediaWiki API.

I think for now we should limit scope and only focus on the
'contribute code to Wikimedia' part, rather than the 'use our data in
interesting ways' part. The sit is, after all, what can I do *for*
wikimedia/wikipedia/mediawiki, rather than *with*. We can get those
domains too, but I think that's a much larger project than what I'd
want to sign up for right now :)

I'm thinking of limiting it to *just* developers to begin with, and
add localization afterwards. Thoughts?

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog