On 23.04.2013 14:46, Jeroen De Dauw wrote:
> Hey,
>
> At the risk of starting an emacs vs vim like discussion, I'd like to ask if
> I ought to be using a SpecialPage or an Action in my use case. I want to
> have an extra tab for a specific type of article that shows some additional
> information about this article.

I would use an action, for several reasons:

* It's always *about* some page, it's something you do with a page. Which is
what actions are for.
* The action interface is newer and cleaner, special pages are rather messy.
* Actions can easily be overloaded by the content handler.
* It's consistent with action=history, action=edit, etc. Of course,
Special:WhatLinksHere is used for "extra info about a page" too.

I don't have a very strong preference, but I'd use an action.

-- daniel