On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Chris Steipp <cste...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Personally, I think giving users safe defaults, but the option to
> shoot themselves *often* is the most secure option, because most users
> will use the secure defaults, and people who want another option will
> go to great, ugly lengths to circumvent your feature. This is the
> direction I've been working towards, but if there is strong support
> for another option, I'm happy to adjust.

I think is sane as well. You see similar patterns from products like Gmail,
which have a preference to not use HTTPS all the time.

In the meantime, the new login form from our team detects whether the user
is on the HTTPS connection, and embeds a link at the top of the form if
you're not. Hopefully this will encourage more people to use it.

Steven