I do a lot of maintenance tasks on Commons, and many tasks require some sort of
database query to find the oddball cases. The queries can be done through one
of several ways:
1) Using CatScan and CatScan2[2] tools
2) Database query service [3]
3) Weekly Database reports [4]

Unfortunately lately some of those ways are breaking down. CatScan and CatScan2
rarely work failing in many different ways: usually due to exceeding the
'max_user_connections' (30 for magnus's CatScan2, and 15 for Daniel's CatScan),
but otherwise with some timeout or no-connection errors, or can work on a query
for hours (or days if you let it) and never returns anything. I developed some
CatScan2 based queries for Creator template maintenance, that worked fine 2-3
years ago, but always time-out since. That might be due more and more images on
Commons.  Similarly, Database query service seems also very inactive. There are
many requests and few replies, like my request from April 2 [5].

For example, lately I was searching for images on Commons that do not have any
license templates (sometimes since 2007 or earlier), see [5]. At some point
Magnus was helping me with that query, however after it  failed several times
with "server not found" error we gave up. It seems like less and less can be
done with current infrastructure.

So are there any non-toolserver based alternatives for database queries? I was
trying to read about Wikimedia Labs looking for tools based on them. Ideally
there would be some CatScan2 like tool that is based on different database,
with higher number of users allowed.

Jarek T.
User:jarekt [6]

[1] http://toolserver.org/~daniel/WikiSense/CategoryIntersect.php