Their screenshots are kind of vague, and it's unclear whether the S3
browser actually implements srcset incorrectly or if this is just a
complaint about our JavaScript fallback implementation, which allows the 1x
images to load first and then goes and loads the 1.5x or 2.0x images.

This does use more data than loading *only* the 1.0x images (obviously), as
does it use more data than loading *only* the 1.5x or 2.0x images. However
it should have nearly zero impact on time-to-interactivity, since the read.

Can we get some more detail from them? Like, did they test any sites other
than Wikipedia, or other browsers than the S3's for this bug? The research
paper PDF says "it turns out" that the S3 browser has the bug but doesn't
explain how they determined this. Do they see three loads per image (which
would be what they describe as the error) or two loads per image (which is
what I expect to see under the current code)? Their diagram circles three
images, but only two of them are of the same image and appear to be a 1.0x
and 2.0x pair.

[Note that we can also improve this dramatically on mobile if we can
prevent preloading of images in initially-collapsed sections; we might then
be able to replace the URLs before the 1.0x images load for anything
outside the lead section.]

-- brion