Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
>I disagree with the last three messages: the visual editor is bound to
>be painful when enabled; if the team has established that they're in a
>stage where they are done with the knowns in some areas but need more
>testing on the field (and feedback) to discover more, they must be
>allowed to, otherwise they'll surely lose time, not working on important
>issues they couldn't predict.

You seem to be mis-reading. :-)  The issue isn't a dearth of known issues
in VisualEditor, it's the opposite: there are a lot of known issues in
VisualEditor that will easily trip up new editors.

I agree with you that once VisualEditor is in a place where there are
fewer known issues, further testing and trialling will certainly elicit
useful bug reports and actionable items.

However, just as an example, currently templates such as {{lowercase
title}} are trivial to destroy, as they have no output in VisualEditor, so
an extra press of the deletion key can easily remove them.

In addition, Parsoid has issues with template parameter and HTML attribute
normalization, sometimes resulting in dirty diffs. And there are
occasionally spurious <nowiki> tags inserted into the edit area.

> VE is useless for power users, so we can only try with newbies. I don't
> know if new accounts are the best choice, maybe it should be triggered
> only after the 10th edit (we know at this point the survival rate is
> much better); but this can be changed any time, I guess.

I wouldn't characterize VisualEditor as useless for power users. I've used
it occasionally and I imagine it'll become more popular in time. Have you
tried VisualEditor?

Can you explain how to set a user preference based on the number of edits
a new user has? Has the VisualEditor team set up a script to roll back
(i.e., undo) this change to the user preferences of new users if this
experiment doesn't work well? Personally, I think it would be a little
crazy to press forward with this experiment on June 19 as planned.

MZMcBride