On 31/07/13 08:45, Tyler Romeo wrote:
> Assertions and exceptions are fundamentally different concepts. Assertions
> should be used for statements that literally should always be true. And I
> mean that almost mathematically, as in most assertions should be able to be
> logically proven. This is why they can be turned off on production servers,
> because they simply won't happen.

Interesting concept. I think in C, they are most often used for
validating function input, so obviously they can be hit. The Wikipedia
articles [[Assertion (software development)]] and [[Precondition]]
both mention this usage.

In the Wikidata code in question, assertions are used for both
preconditions and postconditions of non-private functions.

-- Tim Starling