On 08/15/2013 08:42 PM, Nikolas Everett wrote:

> It certainly started that way but there were but some rather insistent
> folks talked me in to giving Elasticsearch a chance.  I spent a week
> putting together a prototype and I was so impressed that I convinced us to
> move over.  I'm reasonably sure I sent out an email at the time.  I know I
> updated the RFC.  In any case, that is where we are.
>
> As far what impressed me about elasticsearch:
> I like the documentation.
> I like the query syntax.
> I like the fully baked schema api.
> I (mostly) liked the source code itself.
> i like the deb package.
> I like how organized the bug submission and contribution process is.
> Seriously, if you are running an open source project, build something like
> http://www.elasticsearch.org/contributing-to-elasticsearch/ .  Forcing the
> user to reproduce bugs with curl is genius for a service like elasticsearch.
>
> So, yeah, we started with solr but didn't stay there.
>
> Nik

Nik, Chad, thanks for the explanation!

Daniel, the July monthly WMF engineering report
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_engineering_report/2013/July
and previous monthly engineering reports included summaries of where the
search investigation was going.  You can read more specifically about
search at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Search and
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Search/status .  Hope that helps.

--
Sumana Harihareswara