On 31 August 2013 03:10, Brian Wolff <bawo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been working on an api module/extension to extract metadata from
> commons image description pages, and display it in the API. I know
> this is an area that various people have thought about from time to
> time, so I thought it would be of interest to this list.

​This looks rather fun. For VisualEditor, we'd quite like to be able to
pull in the description of a media file in the page's language when​ it's
inserted into the page, to use as the default caption for images. I was
assuming we'd have to wait for the port of this data to Wikidata, but this
would be hugely helpful ahead of that. :-)

However, how much more work would it be to insert it directly into Wikidata
right now? I worry about doing the work twice if Wikidata could take it now
- presumably the hard work is the reliable screen-scraping, and building
the tool-chain to extract from this just to port it over to Wikidata in a
few months' time would be a pity.

J.
--
James D. Forrester