On 27 September 2013 19:40, Sumana Harihareswara <suma...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> This is a quick followup to
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/wikitech/323006 and partly in
> keeping with the anti-vandalism discussion at
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/wikitech/392727 as well.
>
> On 12/27/2012 07:26 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> > TL;DR: A few ideas follow on how we could possibly help legit editors
> > contribute from behind Tor proxies....
> [snip]
> > 4) Allow more users the IP block exemption, possibly even automatically
> > after a certain number of unreverted edits, but with some kind of
> > FlaggedRevs integration; Tor users can edit but their changes have to be
> > reviewed before going live.  We could combine this with (3); Nymble
> > administrators or token-issuers could pledge to review edits coming from
> > Tor. But that latter idea sounds like a lot of social infrastructure to
> > set up and maintain.
>
> From talking to Eleanor Saitta: could we do FlaggedRevs by IP space,
> and/or by the intersection of IPs and topic space? Basically, let people
> edit from Tor IPs (and/or whitelist or blacklist categories) as long as
> those go through a FlaggedRevs-type process?  And we could also do
> FlaggedRevs on specific IP ranges, like blocks that are known to be
> certain government office buildings.

I think perhaps there's a real disconnect between what Flagged Revisions
does and its purpose, as well as how widespread its use is.  FR is not used
on 95% of Wikimedia projects.  It is attached to specific pages (or entire
namespaces); it is not attached to either anonymous (IP) or registered
users.  You're looking for some other type of software, some form of user
right if it is to be attached to specific users (either anonymous or
registered) that would....do what, exactly?  Require that a project's
editors review every single edit from those IPs but not block them, no
matter how much junk they put in a project?

And again, any such use would be specific to each project.  I would be very
disturbed if the WMF was to take it upon itself to start telling projects
they have to accept edits from IPs and ranges they've had extremely poor
experience with.  AGF is not a suicide pact.

Risker/Anne