Has anybody ever considered the possibility that maybe people don't know
(or want to know) how to set up a caching proxy? One of the nice things
about MediaWiki is that it's extraordinarily easy to set up. All you have
to do is dump a tar.gz file into a directory, run the web installer and
call it a day. No sysadmin experience required.

The file cache allows simple and easy caching for wiki administrators who
aren't system administrators and just want their site to be more performant
without having to learn how to configure their web server as well as an
additional caching daemon.

Also, like Mark mentioned, I'd like to see some statistics on how many
people use shared hosting for MediaWiki before dropping support for them
out of principle.

*-- *
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science