On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 10:53:48AM -0700, Quim Gil wrote:
> Liangent and Micru have proposed to use Code-in to get a bunch of
> wikitext templates rewritten in Lua. Let's do it! I also believe
> that this is a very good type of task for Google Code-in.

A little warning: where a task can be split into multiple modules, try
to make the modules reusable by other modules easily. See my UrlEncoding
module [0] for how I've been doing it - AFAIK there's no code style
guidelines for this sort of thing, but returning the basic functionality
as the function name preceded by an underscore (_) seems pretty simple,
and then passing back the in-wikitext functionality as the normal name
will make it easy to call from pages.

This lets us do things like URL-encode inside of templates, while also
letting us URL-encode in Lua modules with relative ease.

I guess what I'm saying is, we should probably come up with some sane
guidelines about what we want these modules to look like before sending
twenty different people to write twenty different solutions for the same
thing (URLEncode, URLEncoding, UrLeNcOdInG, URIEncode, and so on), and
on top of that, in twenty different code styles.

That said, yay Lua! :)

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Module:UrlEncoding

--
Mark Holmquist