On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Jon Robson <jdlrob...@gmail.com> wrote:

> .. 3) it is a nightmare
> http://alistapart.com/article/application-cache-is-a-douchebag is a good
> read to anyone who is curious to the why.

I wouldn't go so far to say it is a "nightmare". The article you linked
blows things way out of proportion. In reality cache manifests are just one
of those "cool new features" that people like to use even if it's not a
proper solution for their application.

The ApplicationCache behaves in a fairly defined manner, as I explained
above. It's just an additional cache on top of normal HTTP caching that
permanently caches files based on a manifest. From that article, the only
true "gotcha" I would mention is #5, which explains that files not part of
the cache manifest will actually not be loaded, even if you're online. That
aspect is a little unintuitive, but once you know about it, it's not really
a problem. Even more amusing is the second part of the article that
attempts to use ApplicationCache for caching Wikipedia, which, like I just
said, is exactly *not* what ApplicationCache was meant for.

In the end I can understand the reason cache manifests exist: for
explicitly offline applications. If your application is not an offline
application, then you should not be using cache manifests in the first
place, because that's not what it's meant for.

*-- *
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science