I have just posted a new draft RFC to alter the wfErrorLog() family of
functions to make logged events carry more data and have a common
output format [0].

This RFC was started as a part of the current DevOps related work [1]
being done by the Platform Core team. Ori, Aaron and I would like to
get feedback from the community on this early stage proposal before
continuing to work towards a prototype implementation.

We feel that implementing a common and information rich log message
output standard will be a helpful step towards removing some of the
mystery from the process of monitoring an active wiki. The current
variety of log outputs slows down the process of creating log analysis
tools. The information provided by a given log message is also largely
in the hands of each developer and varies widely not only from
component to component but sometimes from commit to commit. The final
proposal will describe a common output standard that provides a means
to attach common data to all log messages while still allowing each
module to add unique data that is needed to diagnose problems at
runtime and at scale.

[0]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Structured_logging
[1]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/DevOps_Sprint_2013

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd...@wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer                Boise, ID