Hello everyone,

It’s with great pleasure that I’m announcing that Kunal Mehta[1] has joined the
Wikimedia Foundation as contractor in Features Engineering.

Before joining us (and currently), Kunal is a student in college, switching
from computer science to business administration for reasons that I’m sure
warrant more discussion.

Kunal is currently a Wikipedia admin got involved working on the projects 8
years ago. He also helps writing and maintaining bots (legoktm <3’s pywikibot)
and working on the nether regions of the volunteer developer community as part
of the Volunteer Response Team, which he currently continues to do[2]. I met
him at Wikimania through a Wikidata scholarship because apparently we were too
cheap to spring for his ticket.

Kunal will be working with the Core Features Team since MassMessage[3] and
Echo[4] have overlapping concerns, and Flow[5] can use more development support
now that it is out. When he isn’t doing that you’ll see him around adding this
and that to core or the bots. :-)

Kunal lives and goes to school in San Jose. Most importantly, he’s unlocked
level 2 in Naan Sense on FourSquare[6]. From his username on the projects, I’d
also bet he must like Lego Mindstorms[7].

For the record, Kunal, I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

As you have guessed from my usual tardiness and my drive to finish my
announcements before the calendar year, his first official day was actually
October 28th (Only two months ago? Not bad, not bad at all).

Please join me in a belated welcome of Kunal Mehta to the Wikimedia Foundation.

Take care,
Terry

[1]: [[User:legoktm]]
[2]: https://github.com/legoktm
[3]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MassMessage
[4]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Echo_(Notifications)
[5]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Flow_Portal

[6]: https://foursquare.com/legoktm/badge/51296de6e4b096ae4b48fb8e?ref=tw
[7]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Mindstorms_NXT

terry chay  최태리
Director of Features Engineering
Wikimedia Foundation
“Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum
of all knowledge. That's our commitment.”

p: +1 (415) 839-6885 x6832
m: +1 (408) 480-8902
e: tc...@wikimedia.org
i: http://terrychay.com/