Yes, but what I mean is the user interface for wikipedia readers so
that it's easier for them to understand what the value is. I think
this issue has 2 parts.

One is implementation in user interface for readers (probably some js
widget that pop up, when you roll over the unit, allowing you to
immediately convert it or change the default preferences) who are
reading articles on wikipedia or any other wmf project.

The other part is the implementation of this for editors. It could
either use wikidata as backend, which probably is a good solution
here, or just some magic word like {{DYNAMICUNIT|unit_type=value}} etc
etc.

I think that best would be combination of both wikidata and magic,
because most of wikipedia editors aren't familiar with wikidata at all
and may find it complicated to insert the values directly in there. If
wikidata was the only option, it would need to be EXTREMELY simple for
users to insert the value into article with a 0 need for any knowledge
of how wikidata works, otherwise nobody is going to use it.