On Jan 24, 2014 1:54 AM, "Yuri Astrakhan" <yastrak...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hi, I am thinking of implementing a
>
> #CATQUERY <query>
>
> magic keyword for the category pages.
>
> When this keyword is present, the category page would execute a query
> against the search backend instead of normal category behavior and show
> result as if those pages were actually marked with this category.
>
> For example, this would allow Greek Philosophers category page to be
> quickly redefined as
> a cross-section of greeks & philosophers categories:
>
> #CATQUERY incategory:Greek incategory:Philosopher
>
> Obviously the community will be able to define much more elaborate
queries,
> including the ordering (will be supported by the new search backend)

I like the idea in principle, but think the syntax could use bikeshedding ;)

If we use this as category pages, im a little worried that people could get
confused and try to add [[category:Greek philosophers]] to a page, and
expect it to work. We would need good error handling in that situation

> including the ordering (will be supported by the new search backend)

Cool. I didnt realize search would support this. That's a pretty big deal
since people expect there categorirs alphabetized.

Another cool project would be to expand intersection/Dyanamic Page List
(Wikimedia) to be able to use search as a different backend (however, that
extension would need quite a bit of refactoring to get there)

-bawolff