Yesterday I opened Gerrit change 112699 [0] with a proof of concept
implementation for the Structured logging RFC [1] that leverages PSR-3
and Monolog. I'm sure it's not ready to merge yet but hopefully it
will get some attention from interested parties to move this
discussion forward.

From the commit message:
> This proof of concept implementation of the structured logging RFC
> introduces a PSR-3 based logging class. The MWLogger class is actually
> a thin wrapper around any PSR-3 LoggerInterface implementation. Named
> MWLogger instances can be obtained from the MWLogger::getInstance()
> static method. MWLogger expects a class implementing the MWLoggerSpi
> interface to act as a factory for new MWLogger instances. A concrete
> MWLoggerSpi implementation using the Monolog library is also provided.

There are a couple things in this change that I expect deserve
discussion. The biggest is the way that I am proposing to use Composer
to manage importing Monolog and the Psr\Log libraries into
mediawiki-core. This crosses into the territory of the Third-party
components RFC [2]. This topic has come up on gerrit already. I gave
this response there:

[0]: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/112699/
[1]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Structured_logging
[2]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Third-party_components
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd...@wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA