On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 4:03 PM, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 February 2014 23:42, Rob Lanphier <ro...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> > For what it's worth, I think I can represent Brad's viewpoint pretty
> well,
> > so if anyone wants to discuss this with me in the office, I'm happy to
> > oblige.
>

> Cool, I'll just pop in. Oh, wait.

FWIW, I'm also frequently on IRC (like now).  I asked a question on
#wikimedia-dev a little bit ago which is relevant to my research on this
conversation, since it looks like I'm going to be part of this conversation
whether I want to or not.  As of a few minutes ago, I'm also on
#wikimedia-design, which is probably a little more targeted.

A big reason why we invest in an office rather than just have everyone
everywhere work from home all of the time is that face-to-face
conversations are often very high bandwidth and the type that many (most?)
people are best equipped to deal with in a way that doesn't cause
unnecessary escalation of tension.

I made the offer for an in-person conversation because I think I can
provide our office conversations with a healthy dose of "Helvetica Neue"
skepticism, and I suspect Brad will be relieved that it won't be all on him
to defend his viewpoint.  I also suspect you and I may be reasonably
well-aligned on this issue, too.

Rob