On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 09:51:25AM -0800, Chad wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Trevor Parscal <tpars...@wikimedia.org>wrote:
> > PHP 5.4 added a few important features[1], namely traits, shorthand array
> > syntax, and function array dereferencing. I've heard that 5.3 is nearing
> > end of life.
> >
> > I propose we drop support for PHP 5.3 soon, if possible.
> >

> I'm in favor of bumping to a 5.4 minimum as well since 5.3 is
> approaching its end of life upstream.
>
> As I pointed out on IRC, the question is how quickly the distros
> will follow. Right now the current Ubuntu LTS has us stuck on
> 5.3.something. It looks like 14.04 will have 5.5.8 which is nice
> but not out until April :)

That is not actually the holdup (or if it is, it's a miscommunication
and it shouldn't be). We can backport/build/maintain PHP packages
ourselves. We, in fact, run our own 5.3 packages with some minor changes
compared to precise's.

Last time we were discussing PHP 5.4 it was quite a while ago but I
remember hearing that we'd need to do some porting work for our
extensions. Plus, we we re having a debate we were having about Suhosin
that I don't think ended up anywhere :)

However, last I heard, platform engineering is focusing on HHVM now
instead, so I'm not sure if it actually makes sense to spend resources
to move to PHP 5.4 right now.

Faidon