On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Bryan Davis <bd...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> Ubuntu Server LTS versions have 5 years of support, so 12.04 will not
>> be EOL until April of 2017. PHP 5.3 will be EOL in July of 2014. I'm
>> sure that 3 year difference will be a major pain point for the Ubuntu
>> security team.
>>

> OK, so Ubuntu Server LTS will EOL in April 2017. Additionally, MediaWiki
> 1.23 LTS (our next release) is planned to EOL in May 2017. With that in
> mind, I think it's fair to say that once 1.23 is released we will have the
> opportunity to increase our PHP requirement.
>
> I strongly recommend we do so. A list of nice things about 5.4 that we'd
> definitely use:
>
>    - Array literals
>    - $this support in closures
>    - Class member access based on expression
>    - Class member access after instantiation
>    - Function return value array dereferencing
>    - The JsonSerializable interface
>    - Improved parse_url() behavior
>
> Of course there is traits as well, but that's more of an actual new
> feature, and it will be a while before MediaWiki starts using traits
> everywhere.

+1 on making the break in 1.24. I actually have a note on my desktop
reminding me to write an RFC on that very topic. We should wait to see
but I'm guessing we can skip right over 5.4 and move up to 5.5 when we
drop 5.3 support.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd...@wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA